This brief from Education Strategy Group provides examples of how states can make equity a core driver in their postsecondary credential attainment goals. The brief offers five strategies states can take:
- Publicly commit to race/ethnicity-specific targets within the broader statewide attainment goal;
- Rely on evidence and data to make the case for equity in attainment, inform decisions, monitor progress, and course correct;
- Create space to listen to and build ownership among students, practitioners, community members and community-based organizations, legislators, and other key stakeholders;
- Foster authentic engagement with equity among policymakers and practitioners at the state and institution levels; and
- Interrogate policies and practices at the state and institution levels.
The brief also provides examples of how a number of states are leveraging these strategies to center equity in their postsecondary credential attainment agenda.