On July 31, 2018, the President signed the Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act into law. This bill reauthorizes the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 (Perkins IV) and is referred to as Perkins V.
Perkins V reflects the 100-year federal commitment to Career Technical Education (CTE) by providing federal support for CTE programs and focuses on improving the academic and technical achievement of CTE students, strengthening the connections between secondary and postsecondary education and improving accountability. Perkins V affords states and local communities the opportunity to implement a vision for CTE that uniquely supports the range of educational needs of students — exploration through career preparation — and balances those student needs with the current and emerging needs of the economy.
- State Plan Guide (April 2019)
This guide from the Office of Career, Technical and Adult Education (OCTAE) contains the details about the requirements for the Perkins V one-year transition plan (due Spring 2019), the four-year state plan (due Spring 2020) and additional details about OCTAE's interpretation of Perkins V.
- Consolidated Annual Report (CAR) Guide (June 2019)
This guide from the Office of Career, Technical and Adult Education (OCTAE) contains the details about the requirements for submitting the annual CAR reports.
- Perkins V State Plan Approvals Guide (May 2020)
Refer to this guide for statuses on state plan approvals by The U.S. Department of Education Office of Career and Technical Adult Education (OCTAE), viewing full state plans and leveraging state resources.
- 2020 Nontraditional Crosswalk (October 2020)
To assist states and local recipients in identifying CTE programs and programs of study that prepare individuals for nontraditional fields, the U.S. Department of Education Office of Career, Technical and Adult Education (OCTAE) developed the 2020 Nontraditional Crosswalk. States can use this crosswalk along with other data sources, and review the results of their CIP matching to the crosswalk.
Perkins V Text and Comparisons to Perkins IV
- Perkins V (September 2018)
Full text of Perkins V
- Side-by-Side Analysis of Perkins IV and Perkins V (October 2018)
This document displays the text of Perkins IV alongside the text of Perkins V and includes an analysis of the changes between the two laws
- Perkins V Redline (August 2018)
This document shows how the text of Perkins V compares to Perkins IV
Perkins V Summaries and Analyses
- Understanding Perkins V (November 2020)
An overview of Perkins V including its purpose, how funds are distributed and why Perkins V is an investment that matters
- Major Tenets of Perkins V (August 2018)
A one-page overview of the major tenets of Perkins V
- Summary and Analysis of Perkins V (August 2018)
An overview of Perkins V, including state and local implications
- Infographic: Perkins V Timeline & State Plan Development Process (October 2018)
This two-page color infographic displays the timeline for the submission of Perkins V state plans and outlines the state plan development process.
- Advance CTE and ACTE Joint Letter on Senate Passage of Perkins V Reauthorization (July 2018)
A letter to the Senate in response to the Perkins V Reauthorization Bill that the Senate voted to pass on July 23, 2018
- Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 (January 2006)
Full text of Perkins IV
- Recommendations for Perkins IV Reauthorization (February 2016)
A summary of Advance CTE’s recommendations for the renewal of Perkins
- Perkins Collaborative Resource Network
The U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Career, Technical and Adult Education Division of Academic and Technical Education website with information on Perkins IV, including non-regulatory guidance, state profiles, performance data and more
- Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006: Background and Performance (December 2012)
A Congressional Research Service report for Congress on outcomes under Perkins IV