CTE Opportunity Gap Analysis Train the Trainer Workshop
The promise of Career Technical Education (CTE) is to provide opportunities for each learner to follow their passion and achieve their career goals and future economic success. While high-quality CTE programs of study across the country are delivering positive outcomes for learners, the reality is that not all learners have access to these programs. The Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act (Perkins V) elevated the importance of access and equity and has challenged states and local recipients to prioritize this work to address identified gaps.
Advance CTE is providing training, resources and support to help state leaders identify and address gaps in access to high-quality CTE. Selected participants will participate in a two-day, 3.5 hours each day, virtual workshop on June 14 and 15, 2023. Participants will have access to a suite of resources and tools to help them identify CTE opportunity gaps and conduct a root cause analysis and equity planning exercise in their own states. In addition, participants will receive a $2,000 stipend and ongoing technical assistance to conduct a CTE opportunity gap analysis in the Summer and Fall of 2023. This workshop is offered free of charge with the generous support of the Joyce Foundation.
Selected participants will:
- Learn how to use a percentage-point gap analysis with CTE enrollment data to identify opportunity gaps
- Learn how to investigate opportunity gaps and identify root causes
- Access practical, evidence-based strategies to address root causes and barriers to access
- Access a suite of tools — including a dashboard template, workbook, facilitation guide, PowerPoint template, and more — as well as funding and support from Advance CTE to conduct a CTE opportunity gap analysis exercise in their own states
- Build a community of practice with the current and previous cohort of participating states
Applicants, workshop participants, should be state CTE leaders with responsibility and influence over Perkins V administration, program design and approval, equity and inclusion, special populations, methods of administration and/or CTE data.
Applicants can either apply alone or as part of a state team, each state team member is required to submit an individual application. A state team can include 2-4 individuals with state leadership roles, including leadership in partner agencies. Preference is given to team-based applications.
Recommended participant list from each state:
- State CTE Director
- State CTE Team Data Analyst/Specialist
- State Method of Administration/Equity Coordinator/Specialist
- State Workforce Agency Personnel
- State Special Populations Director/Coordinator/Specialist
All applicants must be recommended by their State Director. Selection criteria includes:
- Readiness to implement: Applicants are poised to implement the CTE opportunity gap analysis process in their own state within six months after the training.
- Influence: Applicants are in a position to influence state and local decision making to advance equity in their state.
- Equity mindset: Applicants understand the importance of equity in CTE and are committed to identifying and dismantling barriers to diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Cross-sector representation: State includes in the application members from secondary, postsecondary and/or workforce agencies as participants.
Selected participants will commit to:
- Completing the participation agreement by June 9, 2023 (State CTE Director signature required)
- Attending and engaging in a two-day, 3.5-hours each day, virtual workshop hosted by Advance CTE on June 14th and 15th, 2023 (1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET).
- Participants will be expected to complete some pre-work before the workshop.
- Workshop will be hosted on Zoom, and participants are encouraged to join and participate by video.
- Attending monthly technical assistance calls to build a community of practice.
- By December 15, 2023, conducting an opportunity gap analysis exercise in their own state.
- The exercise can be conducted with state leaders; local teams from across the state; or at the district, college or school building level.
- Each state will receive a $2,000 stipend to support implementation (if multiple participants are selected from the same state, that state will receive one stipend).
- Sharing back data with Advance CTE.
- After conducting an opportunity gap analysis exercise in their own states, participants will collect data from participants on the effectiveness and usefulness of the activity.
- Selected participants will complete a follow-up survey in Fall 2023 and again in Spring 2024.
- This data will be used to inform Advance CTE’s ongoing equity tools and support.
- May 1, 2023 - Application window opens
- Informations Sessions:
Information Sessions 1: 10 - 11 a.m. ET
Information Sessions 2: 5 - 6 p.m. ET
- May 31, 2023 - Application window closes
- June 2, 2023 - Applicants selected, notified, and receive participation agreement
- June 9, 2023 - Deadline to complete participation agreement
- June 14 & 15 - Workshop training - 1 - 4:30 p.m. ET each day
- 8/1/2023 - State planning worksheets due
- 12/15/2023 - Participants complete opportunity gap analysis exercise and submit post-evaluation surveys
Any questions about this training can be directed to Dr. Kevin Johnson at email@example.com.