Resources across the following topics can help guide you through understanding and planning for Perkins V:
- Understanding the Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act (Perkins V) (PDF)
An overview of Perkins including its purpose, how funds are distributed and why Perkins is an investment that matters.
- Summary and Analysis of Perkins V (PDF)
An overview of Perkins V, including state and local implications from Advance CTE and ACTE.
- Major Tenets of Perkins V (PDF)
A one-page overview of the major tenets of The Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act (Perkins V) from Advance CTE and ACTE.
- Perkins V Recorded Webinar 8/2/18 (Webinar)
A one-hour recorded webinar from ACTE that covers the main provisions of Perkins V.
- Perkins V Reauthorization: Opportunities, Challenges and Risks for States (PDF)
This toolkit by ExcelinEd looks at eight new opportunities in Perkins V for states to consider how to implement high-quality CTE programs.
- Overview of Equity in Perkins V (Webinar)
A one-hour recorded webinar from NAPE that provides an overview of the equity provisions in Perkins V.
- Making Good on the Promise: Examining Access and Achievement Gaps (PDF)
This brief, the second in the Making Good on the Promise series, lays out a strategy for state and local policymakers to confront historical inequities by using data to examine and address gaps.
- Expanding Middle School CTE to Promote Lifelong Learner Success (PDF)
This report from Advance CTE explores state approaches to middle school CTE and career exploration and provides considerations for states when implementing or expanding middle school CTE.
- The State of Career Technical Education: Career Advising and Development (PDF)
This report from Advance CTE and the American School Counselor Association summarizes a national survey of State CTE Directors, State School Counseling Directors and school counselors to describe effective and promising strategies for career advising and development.
- Career Exploration in Middle School: Setting Students on the Path to Success (PDF)
This report from ACTE examines different approaches to supporting career exploration in middle school and highlights examples from states.
- Driving Quality & Equity in CTE: A State Guide to Developing the Perkins V Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment Template (Word and PDF)
This tool, developed by Advance CTE with input from the Shared Solutions Workgroup on the CLNA, helps states identify the major decision points that will impact the design, development and implementation of their CLNA and related local application. It also includes a bank of questions to draw from to help states create a template that elevates and addresses state and local priorities.
- A Guide for State Leaders: Maximizing Perkins V’s Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment & Local Application to Drive Quality and Equity in CTE (Word and PDF)
This guide from Advance CTE provides a summary, analysis and guidance for each major component of the comprehensive local needs assessment and the decisions states can be making now to support a robust CLNA process that aligns with the state’s overall vision for CTE
- A Guide for Local Leaders: Maximizing Perkins V's Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment & Local Application to Drive Equality in CTE (PDF)
This guide from ACTE provides an overview and and guidance for the comprehensive local needs assessment so that local leaders can utilize it as a tool for program improvement.
- State Needs Assessment Crosswalk (Excel and Google Spreadsheet)
This crosswalk tool, developed by Advance CTE with input from the Shared Solutions Workgroup on the CLNA, is designed to support state-level discussions about and the coordination of state- and federally required needs assessments, such as the required under Perkins V, the Every Student Succeeds Act and the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act
- Using Needs Assessments for School and District Improvement: A Tactical Guide (PDF)
This report from the Council of Chief State School Officers and the Center on School Turnaround guides state education agencies and local education agencies through developing needs assessments.
- Coordinating Across Perkins V and the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (PDF)
This guide from Advance CTE and the National Skills Coalition looks at six opportunities to promote coordination across Perkins V and the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) as states develop and implement plans under Perkins V.
- Raising the Bar: State Strategies for Developing and Approving High-quality Career Pathways (PDF)
This report from Advance CTE examines successes in Tennessee, New Jersey and Delaware to demonstrate how states can use the career pathways approval process to raise the level of quality across the board. The report examines common approaches and unpacks key policy levers available to states.
- Good Jobs for all Americans: 2018-2019 NGA Chair's Initiative (PDF)
A summary of the National Governors Association Chair's 2018-2019 Good Jobs for All Americans Initiative.
- Aligning State Systems for a Talent-Driven Economy: A Road Map for States (PDF)
This report by the National Governors Association explores the skills gap, as well as guides governors in addressing this gap.
- Sector Partnerships in Colorado (Brochure and Website)
This brochure and website by the Colorado Workforce Development Council highlights Colorado's growing sector partnerships.
- Careers in Colorado (Website)
This website by the Colorado Workforce Development Council, Colorado Community College System, Colorado Department of Higher Education and CollegeInColorado.org uses career pathways to explore careers in growing Colorado industries.
- Colorado talentFound (Website)
This website by the Colorado Workforce Development Council brings together businessess and individuals with the tools and resources of Colorado's talent development network.
- Consolidated Annual Report (CAR) Guide (PDF)
This guide from the Office of Career, Technical and Adult Education (OCTAE) contains the details about the requirements for submitting the annual CAR reports.
- Perkins Accountability Comparison (PDF)
This document compares the secondary and postsecondary indicators of performance in Perkins IV and Perkins V, as well as points out alignment with performance measures from ESSA and WIOA.
- Driving Quality in Postsecondary CTE: Approval and Evaluation Policies (PDF)
This report from Advance CTE explores how states can leverage program approval and program evaluation policies and processes to ensure postsecondary CTE program quality. The report examines state examples from California, Florida and Wisconsin.
- Putting Labor Market Information in the Right Hands: A Guide (PDF)
This guide from Advance CTE is designed to help states think through the process of disseminating labor market information. The guide highlights how Nevada, Kentucky and Washington disseminated data to various audiences and provides questions for states to consider for each.
- Ensuring Career Pathway Quality: A Guide to Pathway Intervention (PDF)
This report from Advance CTE outlines the steps that state leaders can take when making decisions to transform or phase out pathways that do not have market relevance.
- Policy Benchmark Tool: CTE Program of Study Approval (PDF)
This tool from Advance CTE lays out the non-negotiable elements of an effective policy for approving and evaluating CTE programs of study and offers an assessment rubric that state leaders can use to identify gaps in their current state policy and prioritize areas for improvement.
- State Strategies for Financing Career and Technical Education (PDF)
The report, published by the U.S. Department of Education, uses survey data collected from State CTE Directors to examine how state CTE funding is distributed to local secondary and postsecondary programs.
- Draft State Plan Guide (PDF)
This guide from the Office of Career, Technical and Adult Education (OCTAE) contains the details about the requirements for the Perkins V one-year transition plan (due Spring 2019), the four-year state plan (due Spring 2020) and additional details about OCTAE's interpretation of Perkins V.
- Timeline & Plan Development (PDF)
This two-page color infographic displays the timeline for the submission of Perkins V state plans and outlines the state plan development process.
- Putting Your CTE Vision into Action Through Perkins V Planning (Word and PDF)
This tool aims to help state leaders to think through where their system is working and where it needs to be pushed — and how Perkins V can help drive the changes necessary to achieve a statewide strategic vision for CTE.
- Perkins V Leadership Levers (Word and PDF)
This one-pager highlights the leadership levers that states may choose to exercise to advance the state's vision for CTE in Perkins V.
- Perkins V Funding Levers (Word and PDF)
This tool from Advance CTE highlights the funding levers and questions to consider in Perkins V.
- Sample Perkins V State Plan Development Timeline (Word and PDF)
This resource shows a sample timeline for Perkins V state plan development and was designed to be modified to help states create their own timeline.
- Secondary and Postsecondary Split Chart (PDF)
This chart shows states' split of funds across secondary and postsecondary in 2018.
- Scaling College in High School (PDF)
This guide by College in High School Alliance explores ways to implement dual enrollment and early college designs under the Every Student Succeeds Act.
- Communicating About Perkins V (Word and PDF)
This tool aims to help state leaders think through their overall communications strategy throughout the process of developing and implementing your Perkins V state plan.
- Career Readiness Stakeholder Engagement Tool (PDF)
This tool guides users through nine steps in planning effective interactions with specific stakeholders.
- CCSSO Stakeholder Engagement Resources (PDF)
A summary of some of the tools and resources CCSSO has provided in support of states developing effective stakeholder engagement routines and policies.
- Planning for Engagement: Identifying Key Stakeholders for Perkins V (Word and PDF)
This tool outlines the types of engagement required in Perkins V and was designed to help states begin the brainstorming process for their engagement efforts related to Perkins V.
- Stakeholders and Perkins V: Meaningful Engagement for Student Success (PDF)
This guide contains specific strategies on how best to connect with, speak to and learn from stakeholders with a unique perspective. This tool provides detailed guidance on stakeholder engagement strategies; state examples of potential strategies; stakeholder-specific tactics; planning templates and tools; a breakdown of stakeholders with whom states are required to engage under different provisions of Perkins V; and lists of additional stakeholder engagement resources.