Without a dramatic change in how we prepare individuals to enter workforce and to obtain necessary postsecondary education, our nation will fall dramatically short in cultivating a workforce to fulfill demand. In fact, it is projected that by 2018, 63 percent of all jobs will require a degree in higher education, leaving only 37 percent of jobs to individuals who did not finish high school or did not go on to college.
This report from the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce (CEW) addresses the mismatch between skills that students are attaining and the skills needed for careers. The report underscores why we must ensure that students are equipped to enter into this competitive workforce in which postsecondary education and training will be requirements for a middle class job. Career Technical Education (CTE) can provide support in this area by offering students the opportunity to obtain training and skills and a postsecondary degree. These credentials will allow individuals to gain a competitive edge that will make them more desirable in the current and future job market.