Work-based courses are community college courses that have been redesigned in partnership with employers so competencies are taught not only in the classroom or lab but also through the job itself. They allow students to earn postsecondary credit and workplace experience simultaneously.
This toolkit, developed by Jobs for the Future, provides guidance to community colleges interested in developing a work-based course model. The guide walks users through six stages of program design and implementation:
- Assessing whether work-based courses are right for your college;
- Building a team and institutional support;
- Designing the course and curriculum;
- Training employer supervisors and mentors;
- Delivering the work-based course; and
- Connecting workers to college.